4.03.2009

photo or frick collection

photographer: Joanna Kustra
Sometimes a photo, painting, or sculpture will just strike you. Same with a beautiful piece of clothing or pair of shoes. We can all understand this feeling. As I was looking through FotoDecadent, as I sometimes do, this photo above struck me. There were several others of the same fashion in the shoot, but this one in particular seemed the most "true". And by that I mean the most true to a photo realistic painting. To see the rest of the photos, go here.

My mind immediately jumped to my first visit at the Frick. Yes, go ahead, get that laugh out. I made the mistake last summer of staging a play involving a mystery theft at the mansion of Mr. Frick with my group of 8 to 12 year old budding actors . After the first day of rehearsals and non-stop snicking, I change the lead character's name.
Anyways, back on track....the first time I visited the Frick collection in NYC, I was awe-struck by the painting below. She was taller than I was in real life. Seeing her in person, instead of a textbook was breath-taking. The amazing detail in her bracelet specifically kept my attention for at least 15 minutes. I tried to memorize every detail to tuck away into my growing technique. Just beautiful.
Jean-Auguste-Dominique Ingres (1780 - 1867)
Comtesse d'Haussonville, 1845
oil on canvas
51 7/8 in. x 36 1/4 in. (131.76 cm x 92.08
cm)
Purchased by The Frick Collection, 1927.

Bonus painting from the Frick Collection....just because it's lovely.
George Romney (1734- 1802)
Charlotte, Lady Milnes, 1788-1792
oil on canvas (lined)
95 1/8 in. x 58 3/4 in. (241.62 cm x 149.23 cm)
Henry Clay Frick Bequest.

1 comment:

Syed said...

Nothing better than an 18th century full length portrait. I absolutely adore the drape of the dress in that Ingres! And that photograph is exquisite, the dress, make up, hair, it's just perfection :)