4.06.2009

no worries

close up of Record
mixed media
2008
Dialects and accents have always fascinated me. And I'll be the first to admit that I am not great at imitation, but ever since meeting Dylan (pictured below) in FL, I've been inspired to learn the Australian accent.
Mid-conversation one day, I asked him to imitate an American accent. Momentarily his beautiful Australian accent was turned off and he began speaking with a Boston accent. I collapsed in laughter. Even more impressive was his feat of taking on the Southern American accent. Even funnier.
Then it was my turn to imitate his Australian and I failed miserably. Each time my accent turned British sounding, not Australian. This greatly amused him. In an effort to help, he'd slowly say a phrase and I'd repeat it. The tiny little nuances of sounds were incredibly difficult.
dylan

To my great excitement I found the Speech Accent Archive. A site full of sound recordings from people all over the world saying the same little paragraph. An accent is always a classy way to dress up your speech. :)

No comments: