3.30.2009

chinatown at your fingertips


One of the things I look forward to most when visiting NYC is exploring Chinatown. I must have been in high school when I was first let loose in the city. All the shops, the beads, the little ladies whispering, "prada...gucci..." as you walk by. Since that time, I've had my share of adventures and I've learn a thing or two about shopping there. (One time I was sure I was going to die, as I was led down a little tiny staircase to the basement of a building....but that's another story.)

For several years now, my favorite item to pick up is cheap jewelry. There are stands where all sorts of jewelry....shapes, sizes, colors..... are just two dollars each! Granted, it's all cheap in quality, but many times that is just what I want....something to layer or spice up an outfit. The best part is grabbing a handful of interesting necklaces with funky beads and then remaking them into my own creation when I get home. In the end it's cheaper than buying the beads individually.

So, when I stumbled across 2dollarsjewelry.com, I was thrilled. Once again, it's like Chinatown....lots of stuff...some interesting, some ugly, but it's definitely worth checking out!
The only difference is no bartering and a shipping charge. But then, a shipping charge isn't bad compared to a flight to NYC. :)
Although, I'd never trade the real experience of the city, this is definitely a good in-between trips option.




No comments: